Friday, February 22, 2013

Mini Art School #3

I felt that the theme for this week's mini-art school revolved around perspective.  I created three various projects for this week that reflect my various thoughts and perspectives with regards to these assignments. 
For the first part of Mini Art School, I completed the cropping activity from the book, Design Basic Index. I took six photographs that I had previously taken and cropped them to create different photos. The differences among the photos were very interesting in that they all contained the same subjects but contained different perspectives. 
Here is a sample of my work:

The above photos are of my dog, Sebastian. I tried to crop the photo so that I would remove my friend's arm from it as well as focus more upon him as my subject.


The above photos are of my boyfriend's father's dogs. He has nine Chihuahuas, and it was almost impossible to garner a good photo of them all at once. Cropping came very much in handy with these pictures.



The above photos were taken during my vacation over the summer to Florida. I felt that the effects of this photo changed dramatically when I cropped it in various angles, and it created a variety of designs that emphasized different parts.


The above photos were also taken during my vacation in Florida. I felt that when I cropped these photos, I was able to change the photo into a panoramic photo of a street. These tools could definitely be useful when creating designs because the crops can completely change a photo.



 The above photos were taken at Lake Wallenpaupack in the Pocono Mountains. I love this picture because of how clear it's focal point is and the way that light plays upon the image.  In this case, I like the original photo best because it is just so beautiful to begin with.



This last photo was taken at a park by my home in New Jersey. I took this photo because it is a really beautiful scene that could be taken for granted if perhaps a photo was not taken of this site. In this case, I believe the cropping does not do the photo justice and it is perfect in it's natural state. The pictures were all cropped above using Fotoflexer software.

For the next part of this assignment, I created two book covers. I have a slight obsession with my dog and I wondered what would happen if we wrote a book together (crazy, I know.)


I am a bit torn about which cover I like better. The focal point of my cover is my dog, Sebastian. (I gave him credit for the book also, because they are his thoughts.) I tried to stay true to one color palette for both photos to create a theme in which the photos went well together with the type and it was not too distracting. This cover as well as the work below was created using Microsoft Publisher.
Above, I created the conveyance exercise. I tried to write the words that I was feeling in  a natural order to convey the thoughts that I were feeling at the time to the audience. I feel that there is a flow and a movement to these words due to the directions that they are facing.

Thank you for reading my blog! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Louise,

    I also completed the photo cropping exercise. It is all about perspective, which I didn't think about too much until you mentioned it and I saw your photos. I like the photos you included with the lakes. After you cropped the first one and took the road out of the picture, the perspective totally changed. The photo went from boat ramp example to a scenic photo of the lake. The photo from the park was most interesting to me. I thought the wide angle cropping you did of the park bench told the most interesting story. It made me think of all the people who might sit on that bench watching others pass by and where they came from what they might be thinking about. Nice cropping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise!

    I just want to tell you that I "lol-ed" at your second project for your book cover and idea. How clever! I also like that you gave credit to your dog, "because they are his thoughts". I wish this book was a real thing because I think I would really enjoy it!!

    I also could really relate to your third exercise. Stress... Stress... Stress... Weekend... Stress... That's all I ever feel as well! I have 3 online classes as well as one in person class in New Brunswick at the moment and I feel so overwhelmed all the time!! I hope that you enjoy your weekend and can maybe cut off one of those "stresses" for next week!

    ReplyDelete