Friday, March 22, 2013

Reflections

I have been responding to feedback throughout the course on my blog. I have found the responses that I have received to be very helpful in the creation of my blog as well as the development of my knowledge about multimedia and creating instructional tools. I have found the feedback to very useful because others bring up valid points that I do not necessary think of while I create my posts. The feedback enhances my learning experience and allows me to reflect more deeply upon my work.

I have found the mini art school to be extremely helpful in the development of my knowledge of this course. Rather, than just reading about design principles and elements, it was super useful to actually use and manipulate software to learn about the elements for myself. It was so much more helpful to actually do the assignments that the books discussed rather than just read about the principles. I enjoyed creating my own pieces of "art" that demonstrated the concepts discussed in this course and it will prolong my learning as well as enhance my instruction. I would like to apply these concepts to my teaching to ensure that my students are receiving the best instruction possible. 

I found this graphic on pinterest that I thought would be of note to this class:

4 comments:

  1. Hi Louise!

    I agree that the Mini-Art School assignments were really fun. I also agree that I wouldn't have learned as much as I did about design principles if I hadn't actually applied them through these activities. It's definitely not the type of thing that you could strictly read about and truly learn without application.

    I too hope to apply all of the concepts in my lessons. To consider how much we really design for our students and how much the design of our handouts, sites, presentations, videos, etc., really impact whether or not they learn is truly scary! Since design has such an influence on how much is absorbed, I think that a course like ours should be mandatory for educators. What do you think?

    By the way, I really like the flowchart that you included. I especially love the box that says "Eww, I think you should go back to the start!" I definitely felt like this a number of times when designing my site for my MMP lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely enjoyed the practical aspect of the mini art school lessons. I think we are able to learn more when we are able to apply these concepts to our own work.
      I agree with you that there are a variety of teaching implications. I think it would definitely be very beneficial to our students to incorporate a variety of design elements and aspects from our course to our teaching. I think we would be able to engage and motivate students with presentations and hand outs that would fit their needs as well as adhere to the design rules from this course.
      I'm glad you like the flow chart! I definitely feel like I should go back to start hahah!

      Thanks for your post!

      Delete
  2. Hi Louise!
    I completely agree with you and the reflection that you made here. With the mini art school it was great to see all the different types of programs that the web has to offer, what they can do, and how useful they are to our lives. Isn't if fun to play with them? I love trying out new programs on my computer (not without some research first and making sure they will not put viruses and malware on my computer...) and learning more about them. As for the flow chart, this definitely fits our class because of the different decisions and points of awareness that we have to keep in mind of when developing and creating our media pieces. The different layout requirements, sins, and more have helped us build our arsenal of graphic design knowledge. Great Job!
    -Mae-Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Mae-Lin! I definitely enjoyed learning about the software for this course from a practical aspect. I liked actually using and applying the design principles and elements to my work. It makes it easier to view the implications and how I can apply them to my future teaching. I definitely think the chart can be applied to our coursework as well as our designs.

      Delete